SM-64 Navaho Ballistic Missile
Below are panoramic images of the only surviving Navaho Missile which is displayed outside the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station main gate at Port Canaveral. The exhibit is on loan from the U.S. Air Force Museum System.
360 degree video of the Navaho Missile
The Navaho missile was a rocket-launched air breathing, long range intercontinental guided missile built by North American Aviation at the end of World War II. The missile needed assistance from a rocket to reach a predetermined speed and altitude before igniting its Twin RJ-47 Ramjet engines. Using its high tech infrared guidance system the Navaho could zigzag and home in on its selected target.
With the original test flights conducted at Edwards Air Force Base in California and later continuing at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station between August 1955 and ending in September 1958. Initial testing of the Navaho configuration began with the X-10, a recoverable scale model of the prototype, powered by conventional turbojet engines. The X-10 landed on wheels at the Skid Strip, a 10,000 foot runway at the Cape and was reusable. The engines used in the Atlas and Thor rockets were based off technology developed in building the Navaho booster. While testing at Cape Canaveral the Navaho was launched from Launch Complex 9 (LC-9) and Launch Complex 10 (LC-10).
The Navaho was cancelled after poor performance in testing. Eight out of Eleven test launches of the final prototype failed. All eight of the failed test were conducted at LC-9.
Length: 96 feet with booster
Diameter: 6 feet
Weight: 290,000 pounds
Wing or Fin Span: 36 feet
Power Plant: Twin RJ-47 Ramjets, Liquid-Propellant Booster
Range: 5,500 miles
Guidance: Celestial, Infrared Housing
Armament: High Explosive or Nuclear